martes, 12 de octubre de 2010

Tale of a Forgotten Mascot



I found this video quite interesting.

I have not yet surrendered my love to Epic Mickey; years of gaming have made a skeptic out of me. But I have to admit that they know how to catch my attention. This video speaks about the inclusion of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in the game and I can sum up the ways this works up my pleasure-spots:


GEEK-TASTIC!: As any other geek, I love obscure characters, trivia facts and most pieces of information that have no real application on everyday’s life. This is no Kingdom Hearts. When they bring back a character that has no other target-audience than people like me, I feel loved.

GAMER CRED!: As a gamer interested specially in in-game narrative, I can’t wait to see how they worked out the relationship between the two characters. It seems that it’ll be determined through gameplay which, I think, is the smart approach for a gaming franchise.

SNOBISH CRITIC FEAST!: Oswald will be a character holding a grudge for being forgotten, resentful for living under the shadow of the replacing mascot. That’s pretty meta of them.

So, kudos to Warren Spector and Junction Point. We have yet to see if they can deliver in their promise, but at least they have me interested in this Mickey game. And believe me, that’s a hard one to sell.

3 comentarios:

  1. I love the idea, it would be great to have a game aesthetics as the first frame of the video.

    When I saw the 3D it was difficult to fall for real with the game. Why telling the story of a resented mickey lookalike (That was the original!) without taking advantage of the sad/creepy look of 20's cartoons?

    Oh! Right. Disney...

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I remember one game from Mickey that I actually liked.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUB-xZBHaVI

    The food world from minute 2:00 still makes me go hungry.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Mickey games used to be pretty sweet. I remember having fun with Castle of Illusion and Magical Quest series.
    I might be tempted to do a post about them when Epic Mickey is finally released. But then again, this things take time and is such a drag to track these games down.

    PS. I also played MANLY games like Contra. Don't look down on me :(.

    ResponderEliminar